GRAVOIS MILLS, Mo. -- Jacobs Cave Meadowlands Swapping Days is coming Thursday-Sunday, Sept. 29-Oct. 2. Gates will be open 6 a.m.-10 p.m., Thursday-Saturday, and 6 a.m.-noon on Sunday.
More than 30,000 buyers, lookers, traders and sellers attended the 2010 fall swap. Jacob’s Cave owner Frank Hurley expects to break that record with the sunny 75F fall weather in the forecast.
There were 800 vendors at the 2010 swap. Hurley has improved the grounds to hold 1,000 vendors and he has added additional roads and parking.
• Mennonite families with organic plants, fruits, vegetables, baked goods and handcrafted items. “There will be a huge selection of seasonal items like fall flowers, mums, pumpkins and gourds,” said Hurley.
• Seven or eight gun dealers with new and antique guns
• New and used tools, swords, knives, tack and farm supplies
• Crafts and collectibles
• Antiques, rustic wood furniture crafters, new and antique furniture
• Home décor, house wares and linens
• New and used clothing
• Puppies, kittens, goats, four horn sheep, camels, alligators, monkeys, llamas, alpacas, emus
• Pigeon, poultry and small animals
• Food vendors
• Reduced rates for Jacobs Cave tours
“Anything you can think of, it will probably be here,” Hurley said.
Meadowlands Swapping Days history
According to Hurley, the first swap meet was held two years before the first Versailles Apple Festival. The swap started with Pigeon Club members swapping a variety of pigeons. The swap then grew by adding ducks, geese and chickens. Hurley said a few women started to bring their crocheting, crafts and flowers and it grew to what it is today. The first swap had 50 cars and now there are more than 10,000 cars.
“The swap has turned out to be a great time to get a great bargain and make some money in a slow economy,” Hurley said.
The admission is $5 per day, per vehicle. Rustic camping is available for $5 per night.
The swap is a fun day for families with many attending the Versailles Apple Festival and the swap the same day.
Jacobs Cave Meadowlands is located between Versailles and Gravois Mills off of Highway 5 and Route TT. For information call 573-378-4374 or visit them online at jacobscave.com